PET-Yield

About This Project

ACCUCOLOUR is taking the first step to reduce one of the most prolific non-biodegradable materials on earth. Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) is a favourite material for plastic packaging due to its light weight, adaptability and robustness, and demand is forecast to grow from 12.6 million tonnes in 2010 to 23.4 million tonnes by 2020. PET products are made to last, to be reused and to be recycled, however recycled PET is harder to manage than the virgin PET and currently just 24% of plastic PET bottles are recycled. The other 76% end up in landfill or as litter.

 

In addition plastic manufacturing companies are incapable of controlling production adequately. Instability is caused by PET raw material variation, the resulting scrap rates, and the low possibility of using recycled material.

 

ACCUCOLOUR reduces these impacts with PET Yield, an advanced manufacturing process composed of two parts: new additives that can change the physical characteristics of PET material; and new hardware and software for robust production. PET Yield enables plastic packaging manufacturers higher efficiency in the entire manufacturing process, a 4% reduction in scrap rates, and an increased potential for use of recycled material between 50% (for food packaging) and 100%. Increasing the use of recycled PET and decreasing scrap rates will have a substantial impact on the environment, especially on the marine ecosystem in Europe.

Topic
SC5- Boosting the potential of small businesses in the areas of climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
Year

2017

Cutoff

February

Beneficiaries

Coordinator

Accucolour Limited

Country

Ireland